Monday, October 7, 2013

Southwestern Patties

Ok so I've become obsessed with roots / turnips. I found a new one at the store recently called Parsley Root. The leaves are parsley and you eat the root part. So a double use that's a win win. They are dirty looking white roots in the veggie section. Don't let that sway you to not pick them up. They don't tastes like parsley, which was my concern. 

When I got them home I treated them like any other 'potato' type root such as parsnips. I put them in fauxtato salad along with parsnips and didn't taste any difference. So I purchased them again this last week and found a wonderful new use for them.....Southwestern Patties! If you don't have Parsley root we also made a second round and used rutabaga in it's place and it worked just as well. So you have some options and no reason not to make these!



6 cups shredded parsley root or rutabaga
8 eggs
2 tablespoon taco seasoning (The recipe I use is from Whole New Mom.com)
1/2 cup green onions
1/4 diced poblano pepper
Coconut oil or ghee for cooking

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. 
Preheat pan and add either coconut oil or ghee to the pan and melt.
Add a large spoon full (1/4 - 1/2 cup in size) to your pan then flatten into a round patty. 
Cook on the first side for 4 min on a medium heat. When first side is cooked then flip and cook for 4 minutes on the 2nd side. 

Top with SOOO many wonderful options and enjoy! We went to town with a few different options. 

 A patty topped with burger and all the toppings of your choice.
 Patty topped with sausage patty, egg, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and olives.
 Patty topped with coleslaw, alaskan pink salmon (fresh from the source! thanks dad!), tomatoes, avocado and hot paleo mayo.


The first meal of the above that I made was with a burger. I shoved the patty into the bottom of the boys lunch thermos and cubed up their hamburger. They were raving about it after school. 

Enjoy this awesome patty! Share with me on Facebook how you use it! I love seeing food photos :)


Thanks!
y


No comments:

Post a Comment