Sunday, September 29, 2013

It's Chili Time

As much as my family cooked growing up you would think that I would have been some awesome cook when I moved out....NOT! When I left for college I knew how to bake, as that was my job growing up. Past that I made spaghetti from the box and mac n' cheese. When Kevin and I got married I started to cook a little but it was mostly Rice-A-Roni to go with chicken that he cooked. Clearly times have changed.



Some where along the way I started making chili. For 15 plus years I've winged it. I knew what ingredients to pick up and what fresh ingredients went with it. I never had an actual recipe for it. That is until last fall when a friend asked for it. I figured it was time to write it down. 

  • 2 medium onion, diced
  • 2 lbs ground meat, browned
  • 5 tomatoes, diced
  • 2 28oz. cans TJ Marinara Sauce 
  • 2 green bell pepper, diced
  • Salt and pepper to taste 
  • Amanda's Chili Seasoning doubled if you like a stronger chili flavor, like me :)


1. Dice up tomatoes, onion and green peppers. Add to large pot with marinara sauce and heat through. 
2. In a separate skillet brown your meat then add a single or double batch of Amanda's Chili Seasoning. Mix seasoning thoroughly into meat.  
3.   When meat is done add to the pot and continue to heat through on low for about 20-30 minutes. Add salt and pepper as needed to taste. Turn chili off and let sit covered on stove for a few hours or serve right away. We love it best after it sits over night. 


I enjoy serving my chili with a dab of paleo mayo on top and some crunchy fresh cabbage. It is a great substitute for sour cream. Plantain chips are also a favorite for the kids to add in place of cabbage.


This chili also freezers perfectly so you can save it away for another chili day. 


Enjoy!
Yvonne

No comments:

Post a Comment