Friday, September 6, 2013

A Challenge and some food play...

So earlier last week on Facebook I put out an open invitation for some food challenges. What were people looking for in Paleo? What dish did they want to paleo-ize? The following was one of those meals.

Stir-fry is something Kevin and I have made since our college days. I remember when we purchased our first walk and I believe we made stir-fry weekly if not multiples times each week. In more recent years it's become a family favorite. Rice was also something we enjoyed, pre paleo. If you think about it, minus the rice, stir-fry is a no brainer for paleo as its meat and veggies. Where the challenge comes in is a good 'rice' and a great sauce that is gluten free and soy free. We've always winged this but we wrote it down this time. I think this is our favorite one so far mix.


Kevin's Stir-Fry

Mix
2 large carrots, sliced up
1 green pepper, sliced up
1 red pepper, sliced up
1 head broccoli, cut into small pieces
3 green onions, diced
1 1/2 lbs chicken, cut into bite size pieces
1 head cauliflower, riced in food processor

Sauce
1/2 cup coconut aminos or gluten free soy sauce
3 tablespoons sriracha sauce
1 tablespon minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon ginger
3/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/3 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon arrowroot 

In your skillet cook the chicken until done. Next add your cut up vegetables and add to skillet with your meat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add your sauce and mix in for a few minutes until the sauce thickens. 

For your cauliflower rice add to another pan and sauté for about 5-6 minutes. Once softened I added 1 tablespoon of coconut aminos and 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and mixed through. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed. You can certainly just serve the sauté cauliflower plain and thats fine. I don't care for it plain. 

The stir-fry was served over the flavored rice. It married so well together! The sauce you can certainly cut back on if you don't want that much. We like having sauce to soak into our cauli rice. 


Ok so on to meal two that I'm dying to share. We got some prep done this week, but not as much as I'd like. This happens some times and we deal with it by prepping at night while one of us does dishes after we come home from the gym and the kids are settled in. Tonight I got out of work late, Dawson had boy scouts and I had a date scheduled with Charlie. Busy night, but fun. Of course NOTHING was prepped. Italian meatballs were on the menu still and are easy to put together. The veggies left in the fridge at the end of the week were rutabaga, broccoli and spinach and a jar of garden tomatoes left over from last weekends canning. 

I threw the meatballs together:

1 lb ground turkey
1 lb ground meat
1 egg
2 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried oregano, slightly heaping
2 tsp tried parsley, slightly heaping
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, slightly heaping

Mix all ingredients and make approx 1 1/2" size meatballs and place on a cookie sheet. I use parchment paper on my cookie sheet to avoid the huge mess afterwards. Put meatballs in 350 degree oven and bake for about 30 minutes until done. 

While the meatballs were cooking I pealed then grated up the rutabaga in the food processor (large grate). Knowing I've used it as a potato substitute before I was hoping to just make it a flavored side dish. In a skillet I added about 2 tablespoons of grass fed Kerry Gold butter (my bacon grease jar is empty!), 1 tablespoon of minced garlic and 1/2 a red onion diced. Once the garlic and onions were sautéd for about 5 minutes I added the rutabaga. I cooked this down until softened for about 5-10 minutes. Once softened I added about 2 tsp of salt and 3 tsp of pepper and mixed in. 

For the sauce you can use your choice of tomato sauce. I food processed 2 left over tomatoes and added to a sauce pan with about 1 1/2 cups of left over organic tomato sauce, 3 tablespoons of organic tomato paste and 1 table spoon of italian seasoning. This was heated to a boil, then shut off for serving. 

For the heck of it since the rutabaga came out good I tested with some sauce on top and to my surprise it was awesome. So my happy accident produced from the weeks left overs came out as one of the best spaghetti and meatball recipes we've made. In the past we've used the traditional spaghetti squash and zucchini, but by far this one is my favorite noodle. It has a firmness that the other don't have. The family loved it. 

At the end of the week as the fridge becomes empty, meals can sometimes be challenging if you've cooked everything on your menu. However I find that's when some of the best 'fridge fusion' (tm @ paleotabs) happens. Whats left at the end of the week really should work together somehow because it's meat, fruit and veggies. You just have to have an open mind and be creative. 

Enjoy!
Yvonne

No comments:

Post a Comment