Sunday, July 7, 2013

Coffee, Dessert and the Garden


As a wonderful long weekend comes to an end I wrapped it up with picking the first things from the garden and watering both flowers and vegetables. It was a weekend of time with family and friends, cooking, cleaning, hiking, swimming, reading and we even threw in a WOD at CrossFit Amplify followed by a box cookout.

Over the weekend I received a few questions about desserts and coffee so I thought I'd address those in tonights post. Let's start with Coffee. I've FB'd several times about my search to find a good coffee to drink black, but I also wanted a good paleo solution to cream / sugar. My search has ended with the following:

Peaberry is a limited edition that Trader Joe's is carrying. The pink can on the left was a medium dark roast that was nice and I finished the whole thing! However today I picked up the blue medium roast on the right today and like it much better. I'm more a light roast kinda gal. I can drink either one of these black and I really like them. I'm hoping TJ keeps them around!!! Otherwise I'll be on the search again.


Prior to finding a good black to drink alone I found the above treats. Clover Honey (I'm looking for local honey to get in place of this) from TJ which I use with the THAI Coconut Milk. THAI is the cleanest one I've found. However the TJ Coconut Cream I can use in coffee all by itself, no honey needed. Of either the coconut milk or cream I use about 2 heaping tablespoons, which is probably excessive but it's my treat now that I'm black during the week! Honey I use about a teaspoon of. You'll have to play with the measurements to find what suits you best.


I will warn you that your coffee will look like an oil slick but it's OHHHH so yummy!

Next up are the desserts. As I mentioned we had a BBQ at the gym so I wanted to make something sweet that said summer. I looked at a few recipes on Pinterest but there was too much nut flour or other ingredients, OR too many steps. So I married some recipes I've already tried and came up with my own version that worked wonderfully and without that nut flour dryness you can get sometimes.


I started with a double batch of Perfect Paleo Biscuits from Simply Living Healthy. I've used it it for breakfast sandwiches and it's wonderful. The only alteration I made to her recipe was adding about 1 tablespoon of honey to sweeten the batter, but you don't have to.


I used some awesome farm fresh egg whites from Annie's little farm (insert cry because that was the last of them until August). Once the batter was ready I used coconut oil to grease Wilton's Mini Whoopie pie pans and filled each cavity with batter. I baked it them for 6-7 minutes at 350 degrees. When they were done I dumped them out onto a cooling grid. These were the perfect size!




Next I prepared the Chocolate Avocado Pudding from The Primalist. I first made this last summer and everyone fell in love with it. I've used it as icing on paleo cupcakes, just as straight up pudding with strawberries and coconut whip cream, as well as frozen so you can eat with a spoon! The stuff is awesome! I followed the recipe exactly with the first 5 ingredients and that's where I stop. I tried using some pre-smashed frozen avocado that I had and that had a weird flavor to it so I remade the day of the BBQ with fresh avocado - weird taste gone. I won't be freezing avocado again. 


After the pudding was made I used a bag and tip to pipe it onto the top of each cooled muffin. You can also just use a knife and spread it on the top. After the icing was on I added fresh organic slices of strawberries. They were soooo yummy! I took them to the party in a 9x13 pyrex with a carry case and ice under it to keep them cool. They stayed nice and chilled while we did our WOD!


Last but not least the gardens. We keep checking the garden daily to see what's sprouting. The beans have been growing but not ready for picking until tonight. I took my new garden scissors (thanks Kevin!) and harvested our first batch. 


I was a little anxious and also chopped off our first green pepper. He's a little on the small side but I couldn't resist. He's SOOOOO becoming breakfast tomorrow morning!


Lastly I enjoyed a few minutes sitting in the front flower garden. It was the perfect end to a perfect holiday weekend. The sun was setting as we wrapped up the last bit of work.


Have a great week! 

- Yvonne

No comments:

Post a Comment